Sunday, March 11, 2012

SPECIAL : You Can


SASHA MARTIN
This poem is about the physical aspects of love (Hugging, kissing, foreplay, sex, what have you...) v. the emotions ("I love you"), and the time it takes to realize between lust and love. This is copy righted, please be respectful of that. Enjoy! 

You Can

So when we’re lying down,
getting goose-bump rashes
from the damp grass
caressing our backs
and legs
and arms,
watching the clouds accumulate,
and then drifting off-- smearing watercolors.

You can kiss me.

And when it's summer,
so the ground is too hot to touch
with my bare feet,
and you're safe in your torn-apart shoes,
so you have to carry me
and my blistering toes
across the expanse of cutting,
burning gravel
a Fakir would have liked.

You can kiss me.

And when we’re listening to your i-pod,
to the song we both like,
our song,
and you accidentally
pull out my ear bud
because you’re moving
and we both laugh,
and then
we hold hands,
sitting at our bus stop,
waiting.

You can kiss me.

And when we’re resting
silently,
trying to maintain our steady breathing,
peering at each other
and waiting for the rain to stop,
as we take each other’s hands
and slow dance 
to the pounding of water droplets
on the park cement.

You can kiss me.


And when we’re walking
down the street,
and all the men we pass
stare at me
and cat call--Ow, ow!
--Mamacita 
--Hot damn!
and you get jealous,
and all hot and bothered,
and I assure you
by holding your hand,
so that the attention from
passing men
fades into a backdrop.

You can kiss me.

And when we’re doing homework
together,
but not really getting any work finished
because concentrating is impossible
when your foot brushes mine
or when my soft,
soft
wrist
makes brief contact with your elbow
as I’m adjusting my melting position.

You can kiss me.

And when we’re playing
an intense round of Badminton,
and we’re both pretty good
but we both know you’re better,
so you win.

You can kiss me.

And when we’re hiking
on a sizzling summer day,
and you’re carrying our lunch
even though I really did offer to carry it,
and we sit at our destination point,
rocks about a cascading waterfall,
and you wonder aloud what it’d be like to jump
and I tell you to be careful,
and you laugh and run at me,
pretending to push me
into the falls
but really holding on to me
tightly.

You can kiss me.

And when you say goodbye-- “I love you” 
and I smile back, “I love you too.”

You can have all of me.




The Woman Behind Unleashed and the Words                      
   I am a Practice of Art Major and Creative Writing Minor at UC Berkeley. My passions are writing and the arts in general. I created Unleashed for the empowerment and enlightenment of women everywhere. I am the editor, designer and contributing writer. I truly hope this magazine speaks to each and every woman.  Sasha Martin 

No comments: