Monday, August 13, 2012

Page Turner: Memoir of a Brassiere



Memoirs of a Brassiere
Caroline Lewis

Bonjour. I speak to you now from a secluded place,
Dark, and consisting of minimal space.
I don’t have much time, but I’ll try to portray
My story to the outside world today.

Oui, I feel my tale is one that needs to be shared,
For not many know of our perspective in the affair.
In truth, many overlook the difficulty of our trade,
But I shall educate you on the hardships we’ve paid.

Not exactly the “glamorous” life as Americans would say;
Light is minimal, and the shifts last all day.
Heavy lifting for hours upon hours of melancholy,
Depended on to reverse the effects of gravity.

Not considering the implausibility of such a demand,
Humans continue to pressure us for sheer perfection.
Sadly, mi amour was returned to the shelves after only one day,
Didn’t perform well enough in “fitting” the right way.

Sacrebleu! And the men, I cannot tell you how much I despise,
Singlehandedly, trying to cause our demise.
Do they not understand, is it so enigmatic,
That to remove one of us you simply unlatch a piece of plastic?

Fighting the constant fear of replacement from bore,
Competition augmented by the secret Victoria has in store.
Producing models, padded to make an A cup look like a C,
Just false advertisement, if you ask me.

Alas, my story is told, my time is up,
And I say to my kind in the outside world, good luck.
You must stay strong, for if you don’t gravity prevails,
Hold your two straps in the air with pride and continue your sail.

And for those of you that are not of my sort, I ask one simple request;
The next time you see a bra, please treat it with a little more selflessness.
Consider its journey and the turmoil that ensues,
From my covert location I bid you, Adieu.


Creative Writing Columnist, Caroline Lewis:



My name is Caroline Lewis, I am a super-senior at Cal (they just can't get rid of me!), and I am studying Integrative Biology with a minor in Creative Writing. Some might be thinking, "Why, those have absolutely nothing to do with each other" but I love writing fiction, it's my means of escape from the rigorous world of science. I especially love to incorporate humor into my writing; sometimes you have to search for it, but don't worry it's hidden in there somewhere! I hope you enjoy my work as much as I love creating it, and I look forward to working with this great group at Unleashed.

No comments: