Tuesday, November 20, 2012

PAGE TURNERS: Beauty



CAROLINE LEWIS

What is beauty?
Is it mascara, brown as rich mahogany?
Eyeliner, black as the fur of a wild jungle panther?
Lipstick, red as a blood orange with its flesh freshly squeezed from out the skin?
Is beauty eye shadow, green as imperial jade?
Blush, pink as a flamingo’s delicate wings?
Or fingernail polish, purple as a mountain range during sunset?
Is it foundation, ivory as the pebbles on a sandy beach?
Contact lenses, blue as the clear ocean waters?
Highlights, gold as the sweet honeycomb of a tree?
Ask me what beauty is and I’ll tell you.
It’s a smile, welcoming like the mat in front of one’s door.
It’s open arms, warm as a sweater on a chilly winter night.
It’s you, strong as the Earth’s pull on the moon.
What is beauty?
It’s right inside of you,
With no price tag attached.


 Feel free to contact columnists at 
Creative Writing Columnist, Caroline Lewis: 
My name is Caroline Lewis, I am a super-senior at Cal (they just can't get rid of me!), and I am studying Integrative Biology with a minor in Creative Writing. Some might be thinking, "Why, those have absolutely nothing to do with each other" but I love writing fiction, it's my means of escape from the rigorous world of science. I especially love to incorporate humor into my writing; sometimes you have to search for it, but don't worry it's hidden in there somewhere! I hope you enjoy my work as much as I love creating it, and I look forward to working with this great group at Unleashed.


No comments: