Monday, July 16, 2012

Page Turners : Superhuman



Superhuman


Caroline Lewis

Captain America, let go of your shield,
For I’ve got something that might make you feel
That your help is no longer needed around.
You too, Thor, get rid of that hammer you found.

I don’t want to fly in the arms of a spider,
Unimpressed by your gadgets and tight-skinned attire.
 The dark bats, and men of iron I see,
 Just fail to be a turn-on for me.

Go ahead, Hulk, get angry and turn lime-green,
Run around in those pants that still fit magically.
You heard it correctly, I don’t need your assistance,
Your strength is no match to the weapon I’m equipped with.

I know you’re used to the girls that cry,
Screaming at danger, and looking to the skies.
Hoping that if they sit back and look pretty,
You’ll arrive just in time and save the city.

To Mary Jane, Lois, Pepper and the rest,
No doubt, you fall, faint and wail the best.
If I had the lung capacity and flowy hair you possess,
Maybe I too could be a damsel in distress.

But my hair is average and my lungs are too,
And the truth is I’ve got my own hero I look to.
He is short and skinny, and lacks coordination,
His muscles somehow lost their invitation.

Lights in the sky don’t call out his name,
No one confuses him with a bird nor a plane.
But in my eyes his guise holds the brightest of colors,
He doesn’t try to rescue me, but we rescue each other.

Batman and Robin envy our team,
Asking to join, but we reject indifferently.
He is my kryptonite, as I am his
My greatest strength, my sole weakness.

But . . . he questions if I’m happy with what I’ve found,
Comparing himself to the heroes that surround.
Looking at me with beautiful but insecure eyes,
Trouble afoot between him and I.

Victors of the Dating Games, together we came out,
 Our new mission of survival: beating the villain of doubt.




Creative Writing Columnist, Caroline Lewis:

My name is Caroline Lewis, I am a super-senior at Cal (they just can't get rid of me!), and I am studying Integrative Biology with a minor in Creative Writing. Some might be thinking, "Why, those have absolutely nothing to do with each other" but I love writing fiction, it's my means of escape from the rigorous world of science. I especially love to incorporate humor into my writing; sometimes you have to search for it, but don't worry it's hidden in there somewhere! I hope you enjoy my work as much as I love creating it, and I look forward to working with this great group at Unleashed.




No comments: