Friday, December 7, 2012

CUT THE C#$%: The RBF-- How to Know if You Have One and What You Can Do About It.


Quick announcement: For the Spring Semester, starting in December, due to author's traveling abroad (to Italy, South Africa, France, and more!) Unleashed will be published once a month. This semester, we will include guest articles written by people of interest: professors, musicians, wise parents, firefighters and more surprises to come!

^Where's the RBF?

SAMANTHA SALIS
The first step on discovering your RBF (aka Resting Bitch Face) is admitting your denial. The RBF has been around for centuries. In the caveman times, it was used as a defensive tool to warn off weak mates (who were intimidated by the RBF). It obviously has served the human race beneficially as it has been retained over centuries.
Everyone has seen the RBF. It in no way is indicative of what the person is feeling or their opinion toward the victim of their gaze. When the face is completely relaxed, eyebrows fall, the corners of the mouth droop. Depending on the degree of the severity, the RBF can represent anything from simple boredom to utter hatred and disgust.
The RBF is nothing to be ashamed of as some of, the most successful human beings have had obvious RBFs---diplomats, CEOS, musicians….even Taylor Swift! And as your mentor on this journey to self awareness, and therefore, self acceptance, I will be the first to admit that I, Samantha Salis, have a formidable RBF.
I still vividly remember the day I discovered my RBF. I was in a high school English class and heard hearty laughter coming from behind me. I turned around, merely to see what was going on and join in on this amusing occasion. When the boy who was laughing the hardest looked at my face, he immediately stopped and preceded to apologize for his laughter. It was then I knew that as much as I liked to consider myself a joyous, happy person, my relaxed face suggested otherwise.
My RBF has not stopped me from being the success story I am today. I have achieved the majority of my goals, despite possibly looking like a total b&$*^ in the process.
Once you have finished the first step of admitting denial, the second step is to seek a trustworthy sponsor. You must choose someone who is completely honest with you. That person who you know would tell you that you have food all over your face or that your hairstyle is a little (way) too unwashed. I would suggest a mom, best friend, or sibling.
 
Knowing is the first step in true progress and change. If you don’t have one,  you have nothing to worry about. If you do have one, I would not recommend working in customer service or with small children.
 I’m just kidding, I did both those things. 
So the moral of the story is that the RBF is not exclusive to any single type of person. If you have an RBF, you are not alone. There are millions of others out there just like you. Consider it a special gift that you were endowed with at birth, like lazer vision or super speed. Just be aware of your super power and use it wisely so you don't take over the world with your ... RBF!



Feel free to contact columnists at Unleashed 



 The "Is This Real Life?" Column, Samantha Salis:


Sam is a Psychology Major and Political Economy Minor at UC Berkeley. She is a dedicated young woman, ambitious and sharp as a whip. Our dear Samantha tutors high schoolers and works at a Psychology lab at UC Berkeley. Even with this busy schedule, Ms. Salis creates the time to divulge to us her insider perspective on the world around us, backed with thorough researc. Enjoy!

No comments: