Monday, December 3, 2012

PAGE TURNERS: Christmas Tree


Quick announcement: For the Spring Semester, starting in December, due to author's traveling abroad (to Italy, South Africa, France, and more!) Unleashed will be published once a month. This semester, we will include guest articles written by people of interest: professors, musicians, wise parents, firefighters and more surprises to come!


CAROLINE LEWIS 

Never do they come my way,
Walking past me day by day.
Invisible to the world outside,
A lonely tree devoid of pride.

Shadowed by the other trees,
Images of what Christmas should be.
Fully figured, tall and exquisite,
Grabbing attention from all who visit.

Tucked in my corner of the lot,
Brittle and small, easily forgot.
Fragile, insecure, and meek,
Acceptance of not ever being seeked.

Used to the sound of continuous walking,
To my surprise I heard someone stopping.
You stood before me with a smile as you paused,
Eyes fixated on me, but overlooking my flaws.

You took me in when others wouldn’t,
Believing in me when even I couldn’t.
Decorating me with colors of love,
Illuminating brighter than the stars above.

I am a Christmas tree, you are my Christmas lights,
Together we light up the night.
But no longer am I just a tree,
I am the symbol of true beauty.


Feel free to contact columnists at Unleashed 

Creative Writing Columnist, Caroline Lewis: 

My name is Caroline Lewis, I am a super-senior at Cal (they just can't get rid of me!), and I am studying Integrative Biology with a minor in Creative Writing. Some might be thinking, "Why, those have absolutely nothing to do with each other" but I love writing fiction, it's my means of escape from the rigorous world of science. I especially love to incorporate humor into my writing; sometimes you have to search for it, but don't worry it's hidden in there somewhere! I hope you enjoy my work as much as I love creating it, and I look forward to working with this great group at Unleashed. 




No comments: