Friday, September 7, 2012

Cut the C#$%: Jesus Loves You




Jesus Loves You
Samantha Salis

Though Shall Stop Before You Get Punched in the Face
 
I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been told that Jesus loves me. Or that Jesus will be with me. Because I don’t have a sticker on my forehead indicating that I am Jewish, I don’t get angered by these situations. I’ve been told to have a Merry Christmas. I’ve been asked what Santa left me under the tree. These statements I also take with a grain of salt because I know their assumptions are well intended. If anything, I’ve learned to go with it and return with a similar response. Get creative. It’s really pointless to correct a stranger in order to verify what your religion truly is in a situation like this. As much as I would like to think I am a chosen one, I know rationally that the person praising "Jesus, our savior" cares just as much about my religious affiliation as asjfelfjsllsf.
 
However, there is a thin line between good intentions and intentionally ostracizing someone who is different. You can tell me to have a Merry Christmas and a happy new year, but the minute you start to make me feel inferior----well, that’s a time I think we should all avoid. I understand we live in a mostly Christian nation; however, I think our country is diverse enough that people should be a little more neutral in their religious conversing.
 
I enjoy intellectual debates about religion, or any topic for that matter. But if I don’t ask you directly? Please don’t tell me what you think about my religion. Why are we humans so entitled that we think we have the answer to all of the world’s problems? Why do certain people believe they know what is best for everyone, even strangers?
 
This problem has been occurring forever. We shouldn’t ever have a one way dialogue when it comes to any issue of importance, whether it be religion or politics. Although it is hard to understand the details of every religion, I believe that all people should know the basic facts surrounding the religions that are most popular in their area. For example, please don’t ask me if I am a “Hanukkan” because I celebrate Hanukkah. Yes, that has really happened.
 
To what extent is ignorance socially acceptable? What parts of your religion do you expect others to know? Where does religious intercourse cross the line from debate to bullying, or even attempted converting?
 
And please, enough with the cheesy religious bumper stickers. Even atheist's have them now with their Darwin fish.  God will not bless me because I read it off of your SUV. Enough said. 


 The "Is This Real Life?" Column, Samantha Salis:

Sam is a Psychology Major and Political Economy Minor at UC Berkeley. She is a dedicated young woman, ambitious and sharp as a whip. Our dear Samantha tutors high schoolers and works at a Psychology lab at UC Berkeley. Even with this busy schedule, Ms. Salis creates the time to divulge to us her insider perspective on the world around us, backed with thorough researc. Enjoy!
 

No comments: